Job holders in this unit group perform a variety of technical support functions to assist production, process and planning engineers with production programmes and schedules and with manufacturing and processing procedures in order to ensure accuracy, cost-effectiveness and efficiency.
Common tasks in this job:
- supports planning and production engineers in assessing existing and alternative production methods
- works from, and helps implement, professional engineers’ drawings and specifications for equipment and layout, and helps implement modifications required for existing plant machinery/layout
- works with engineers on production control methods to monitor operational efficiency and helps to eliminate potential hazards and bottlenecks in production
- liaises with materials buying, storing and controlling departments to ensure a steady flow of supplies
- supports professional engineers in reviewing safety, quality, accuracy, reliability and contractual requirements
- supports implementation of plans of sequence of operations and completion dates for each phase of production or processing
- ensures implementation of inspection, testing and evaluation methods for bought-in materials, components, semi-finished and finished products
- ensures accuracy of manufacturing and testing equipment
- ensures effective completion and implementation of detailed instructions on processes, work methods and quality and safety standards for workers.
What qualifications do I need?
Entrants to training usually possess GCSEs/ S grades. Vocational training consists either of full-time study for a BTEC/SQA National award followed by two years on-the-job training, or an apprenticeship leading to an NVQ/SVQ at Level 3.
Planning, Process & Production Courses
- Advanced Manufacturing Engineering BTEC Level 3 Diploma
- Award Advanced Manufacturing Engineering (BTEC) BTEC Level 3 Award
- Engineering Technician Foundation Competence Level 2
- Engineering Technician BTEC Level 3 Diploma
- Engineering Technician Level 3 NVQ
- Engineering Technician (Machinist Pathway) Foundation Competence Level 2
- Engineering Technician (Machinist Pathway) BTEC Level 3 Diploma
- Engineering Technician (Machinist Pathway) Level 3 NVQ
- Engineering Technician (Technical Support Pathway) Foundation Competence Level 2
- Engineering Technician (Technical Support Pathway) BTEC Level 3 Diploma
- Engineering Technician (Technical Support Pathway) Level 3 NVQ