Production managers and directors in manufacturing plan, organise, direct and co-ordinate the activities and resources necessary for production in manufacturing industries including the maintenance of engineering items, equipment and machinery.
Common tasks in this job:
- liaises with other managers to plan overall production activity and daily manufacturing activity, sets quality standards and estimates timescales and costs
- manages production to ensure that orders are completed to an agreed date and conform to customer and other requirements
- monitors production and production costs and undertakes or arranges for the preparation of reports and records
- oversees supervision of the production line and its staff, ensures targets are met.
What qualifications do I need?
There are no pre-set entry standards. Entry is possible with either a degree or equivalent qualification, and/or relevant experience. On-the-job training is provided and professional qualifications are available, as are S/NVQs in Management at levels 3 to 5.
Production Management Courses
- Construction BTEC Level 3 National Foundation/National Extended Diploma
- Construction and the Built Environment Level 5 HND
- Manufacturing Engineer Level 6 Bachelors Degree